[Cryptography] ideas for (long) Nothing up my sleeve numbers

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 1 09:39:09 EDT 2014

Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> writes:

>Instead, compose a message of the following form:  "The constants are
>computed by taking the closing prices of the following 100 stocks, as
>published in <pick your publication> on <date in the future>,

This is pretty close to how the numbers racket worked, except that instead of
stocks it used the least significant digits of amounts bet at racetracks,
which was taken as a similarly publicly verifiable source of non-manipulable
randomness.  This didn't stop Otto "Abba Dabba" Berman, Dutch Shultz'
accountant, from fixing the numbers racket by a mechanism that's still the
subject of speculation today.

Peter.