[Cryptography] PRISM-Proofing and PRISM-Hardening

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Mon Sep 30 14:29:31 EDT 2013

Bill said he wanted a piece of paper that could help verify his bank's certificate.  I claimed he's in the extreme minority who would do that and he asked for proof.

I can only, vaguely, recall that one of the East Coast big banks (or perhaps the only one that is left) at one point had a third-party cert for their online banking and that it "encouraged" phishing of their customers.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#cite_note-87 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#cite_note-88 which say simple things like "show the right image" don't work.

	/r$

--
Principal Security Engineer
Akamai Technology