[Cryptography] Hashes into Ciphers

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Sep 4 10:49:33 EDT 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 10:37:12 -0400 "Perry E. Metzger"
<perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> Phil Karn described a construction for turning any hash function
> into the core of a Feistel cipher in 1991. So far as I can tell,
> such ciphers are actually quite secure, though impractically slow.
>
> Pointers to his original sci.crypt posting would be appreciated, I
> wasn't able to find it with a quick search.

Answering my own question

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/sci.crypt/tTWR2qIII0s/iDvT3ptY5CEJ

Note that Karn's construction need not use any particular hash
function -- he's more or less simply describing how to use a hash
function of any sort as the heart of a Feistel cipher.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com