[Cryptography] Crypto Standards v.s. Engineering habits - Was: NIST about to weaken SHA3?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Oct 15 18:15:54 EDT 2013

On 10/15/13 at 11:56 PM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:

>At a reduction level, we often hope that we can improve a
>cipher by xoring another cipher with it.  But this amounts to
>"inventing" a new cipher, so it seems to reduce to a sort of
>absurdium argument that an xoring programmer can outdo a cryptographer.

Well, lets be careful if they are both stream cyphers. And
downright scared if they are both the same stream cypher. :-)

Layering a stream cypher on top of a block mode cypher seems a
better bet. Even if the block mode is CBC. BTW, AES in counter
mode is a stream cypher.

[I like the direction John is proposing, even if I haven't had
time to chase down the modes he's suggesting.]

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | I don't have high-speed      | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | internet. I have DSL.        | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |                              | Los Gatos,
CA 95032