[Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] 'We cannot trust' Intel and Via's chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Dec 19 12:17:36 EST 2013

On 12/17/13 at 5:47 PM, tytso at mit.edu (Theodore Ts'o) wrote:

>Ultimately, if you need to live at that level of paranoia, you'll need
>to build your own CPU out of TTL logic chips --- something which I
>learned how to do when I was a freshman at MIT.  It won't be a
>terribly fast computer, though....

One should be fairly safe using commodity FPGAs and probably get
a decent improvement in speed. Of course the question is, how
much speed will be needed? A fair bit for 4096 bit RSA.
Considerably less for 128 bit AES. Very little for secure random
source to be read from another CPU.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | I don't have high-speed      | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | internet. I have DSL.        | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |                              | Los Gatos,
CA 95032