[Cryptography] Kindle as crypto hardware

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Thu Dec 5 08:37:09 EST 2013

Why not just use a piece of paper? Except if you'd like it to do
calculations for you. In which case you should keep to "something that
stores data and does certain calculations".

Definitely NOT get *nix! That's asking for trouble.

If you take anything morepowerfull than an Arduino there'll likely be
exploits.

I strongly recommand rolling your own.

Battery + PIC + display (example <https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9363>)
+ keyboard (example<http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Blackberry-Bold-Q10-Qwerty-Keypad-Keyboard-Membrane-Flex-Cable-Replacement-/221329592432?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3388459070>)
= 30-40 USD

Only the PIC needs to be disposed of. I'd mount it in a socket, and then
replacing it costs <2USD (depends on the PIC ofc). You could use the PIC's
volatile memory to store data, that way you can destroy your keys easily in
a pickle (just yank the PIC out of it's socket). It'd be insanely hard to
retrieve the data after that indeed.

The display and keyboard I picked are both cellphone components. The
display mounted to a PCB for easy reuse. The keyboard has a flex cable,
which might be a bother. I'm sure you have an old cellphone around, else
you can check any thrift store and reuse a phone they didn't think they'd
ever get rid off anymore. (those I did visit usually have a bunch in the
back. I even found one that trashed them as "electronics waste", and I
could take a bundle for free!)

If you want to buy a kindle that's fine too. Ebay has a ton of "kindle
keyboard" kindles for about 45 USD. But remember you are not getting nearly
the security you could have gotten. And it's only a tease easier, and a lot
less fun. Maybe the most important thing is that it's totally uncool
compared to a hacked together little device.