RSA question

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Fri Sep 3 22:38:03 EDT 2010

From: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy at iki.fi>
Subject: Re: RSA question

> On 2010-09-02, travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org wrote:
>
>> I hear that NIST Key Mgmt guideline (SP 800-57) suggests that the RSA key
>> size equivalent to a 256 bit symmetric key is roughly 15360 bits. I
>> haven't actually checked this reference, so I don't know how they got
>> such a big number; caveat emptor.
>
> I would imagine it'd be the result of fitting some reasonable exponential
> to both keylengths and extrapolating, which then of course blows up...for
> once *literally* exponentially. ;)

Actually it's a fairly straight forward calculation. Given the known
computational requirements for a 512-bit factoring gives a scale multiplier
for the asymptote for complexity of factoring, so it is a simple matter of
using that scalar S in 2^256 = S*O(factoring n), then length of n is very
close to 15360.

The cost-based analysis is really only valid at a single point in time, as
technology progresses is does not do so smoothly. So while the lengths given
by RSA were accurate at the time of their computation, they are no longer
accurate and need to be reanalyzed.

The different approachs are very much like the difference between a sniper
and a massive bomb to kill someone. Both will eliminate the target, but the
bomb (NIST numbers) will have significant collateral damage, the sniper
(cost based analysis) though you have to make sure you've got the right
target.

For most purposes the best solution is something between a massive bomb and
a sniper, just as for most cryptographic purposes your actual security
equivalence will be somewhere between the old cost analysis numbers and the
NIST numbers.
                    Joe