MD5 considered harmful today, SHA-1 considered harmful tomorrow

Bodo Moeller bmoeller at acm.org
Mon Jan 19 04:45:55 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Steven M. Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> I've mentioned it before, but I'll point to the paper Eric Rescorla
> wrote a few years ago:
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.ps or
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.pdf .  The bottom line:
> if you're running a public-facing web server, you *can't* offer a SHA-2
> certificate because you have no way of knowing if the client supports
> SHA-2. Fixing that requires a TLS fix; see the above timeline for that.

The RFC does exit (TLS 1.2 in RFC 5246 from August 2008 makes SHA-256
mandatory), so you can send a SHA-256 certificate to clients that
indicate they support TLS 1.2 or later.  You'd still need some other
certificate for interoperability with clients that don't support
SHA-256, of course, and you'd be sending that one to clients that do
support SHA-256 but not TLS 1.2.  (So you'd fall back to SHA-1, which
is not really a problem when CAs make sure to use the hash algorithm
in a way that doesn't rely on hash collisions being hard to find,
which probably is a good idea for *any* hash algorithm.)

Bodo