Property RIghts in Keys

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Sat Feb 14 06:14:54 EST 2009

In responding to what Steven M. Bellovin wrote about GeoTrust, I
mentioned the low UK copyright law requirement for creativity.

As a postscript to that observation, I draw attention to s9(3) of the UK
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988:

(3) In the case of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work which
is computer-generated, the author shall be taken to be the person by
whom the arrangements necessary for the creation of the work are undertaken.

And s178 provides the definition:  "computer-generated", in relation to
a work, means that the work is generated by computer in circumstances
such that there is no human author of the work.

These provisions seem to me to work quite aptly to encompass a key-pair.

Nicholas Bohm
--
Salkyns, Great Canfield, Takeley,
Bishop's Stortford CM22 6SX, UK

Phone  01279 870285    (+44 1279 870285)
Mobile  07715 419728    (+44 7715 419728)

PGP public key ID: 0x899DD7FF.  Fingerprint:
5248 1320 B42E 84FC 1E8B  A9E6 0912 AE66 899D D7FF