the joy of "enhanced" certs

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Wed Jun 4 16:30:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I'm thinking of starting a CA that sells "super duper enhanced
> security" certs, where we make the company being certified sign a
> document in which they promise that they're absolutely trustworthy.
> To be really sure, we'll make them fax said document in on genuine
> company letterhead, since no one can forge letterhead.

Sorry - not quite good enough. You lack that key thing to make this
secure and win the war on them internet terrorists.

You totally missed the fundamental crucial and the totally aspect of your
Unique Selling Proposition: it _has_ to be very very very expensive. And
people have to know that it was, indeed, very very expensive.

Dw