The PKC-only application security model ...

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Thu Jul 24 07:42:57 EDT 2008

Eric Rescorla wrote:

> At Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:32:02 -0500,
> Thierry Moreau wrote:
>

>>Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote about various flavors of certificateless
>>public key operation in various standards, notably in the financial
>>industry.
>>
>>Thanks for reporting those.
>>
>>No doubt that certificateless public key operation is neither new nor
>>absence from today's scene.
>>
>>The document I published on my web site today is focused on fielding
>>certificateless public operations with the TLS protocol which does not
>>support client public keys without certificates - hence the meaningless
>>security certificate. Nothing fancy in this technique, just a small
>>contribution with the hope to facilitate the use of client-side PKC.
>

> DTLS-SRTP
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-02,
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp)
> uses a similar technique: certificates solely as a key
> carrier authenticated by an out-of-band exchange.

In draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework, the detailed scheme uses
self-signed certificates created by client end-entities themselves. The
basic idea is identical. At the detailed level in my document, the
client end-entity "auto-issues" a security certificate with a "breached"
CA private key.

In the TLS Certificate request message, a list of CA distinguished names
is provided to the end entity. Referring to a "breached" CA public key
is an invitation to submit a meaningless end-entity certificate, making
the detailed scheme "more plain" with respect to TLS options (i.e. an
empty list in a certificate request message could be a not so well
supported mode in TLS software implementations).

So, maybe the reference to the notion of self-signed EE certificates in
draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework could be replaced by "meaningless EE
certificates" (or something else), which would include both self-signed
or auto-issued. In such a case, the RFC publication for my document
would become more pressing.

A related discussion occurred on the IETK PKIX mailing list in June 2008
under the subject "RFC 5280 Question".

Regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau