Toshiba shows 2Mbps hardware RNG

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 13 23:08:04 EST 2008

"David G. Koontz" <david_koontz at xtra.co.nz> writes:

>Military silicon already has RNG on chip (e.g. AIM, Advanced INFOSEC Machine,
>Motorola),

That's only a part of it.  Military silicon has a hardware RNG on chip
alongside a range of other things because they know full well that you can't
trust only a hardware/noise-based RNG, there are too many variables and too
many things that can go wrong with that single source.  That's why I was
sceptical of the "we've solved the RNG problem with our custom hardware"
claim, they've created one possible source of input but not a universal
solution.

Peter.