two bits of light holiday reading

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 26 01:35:43 EST 2008

1.

Jonathan Zittrain's[0] latest book, 'The Future of the Internet and
How to Stop It', is available as a free PDF licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA:

<http://futureoftheinternet.org/static/ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf

While not dealing with cryptography per se, it does focus on the wider
implications of the worsening situation in modern computer security,
and what it means for the new computing platforms we're seeing now and
in the future. Zittrain is one of the foremost cyberlaw thinkers on
the planet; given a number of discussions on this list, I thought the
book would be of interest to subscribers.

[0] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Zittrain>

2.

The DC-based Center for Strategic and International Studies recently
released a report titled 'Securing Cyberspace for the 44th Presidency'
written by a number of influential authors:

<http://www.csis.org/media/csis/pubs/081208_securingcyberspace_44.pdf>

Of most interest to this list, the report suggests going on the
offensive with regard to identity management, proposing to restrict
bonuses and awards of US federal agencies not using strong digital
credentials for employees in sufficient numbers (logical pp. 61-65).
Maybe, uh, it'll work this time around?

Cheers,

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org