Why the poor uptake of encrypted email?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Dec 17 22:06:37 EST 2008

Peter Gutmann wrote:
 > ... to a statistically irrelevant bunch of geeks.
 > Watch Skype deploy a not- terribly-anonymous (to the
 > people running the Skype servers) communications
 > system.

Actually that is pretty anonymous.  Although I am sure
that Skype would play ball with any bunch of goons that
put forward a plausible justification, or threated to
rip their fingernails off, most government agencies find
it difficult to deal with anyone that they cannot
casually have thrown in jail - dealing with equals is
not part of their mindset.  So if your threat model does
not include the FBI and the CIA, chances are that  the
people who are threatening you will lack the
organization and mindset to get Skype's cooperation.