road toll transponder hacked

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 26 13:32:49 EDT 2008

>> > So, I believe, at least for E-Z Pass, the attack would have to include
>> > cloning the license plate and pictures may still be available whenever
>> > a victim realizes they have been charged for trips they did not take.

The 407 toll road in Toronto uses entirely automated toll collection.
They offer transponders (which, annoyingly, are the same system as
NY's EZ-Pass but don't interoperate) for commuters and trucks, but for
casual use by cars, it reads your plates and sends you a bill.

I can report from experience that when I use it with my NY plates, I
always get a bill a month or so later.

R's,
John