Cracking the code?

mis at seiden.com mis at seiden.com
Sat Mar 3 16:58:53 EST 2007

the hex value stored is perhaps a hash, or even better, a salted hash,
or even better, a keyed salted hash which is then hex-encoded.  any
discussion of unix password cracking will describe the first two.
(i think even the original doug mcilroy paper)

all are vulnerable to dictionary and brute force attacks.
an unsalted hash also reveals what two users have the same
password as their hashes are the same.

yes, you could also precompute hash values instead of using attacks
which enumerate the values and their hashes.

if the hash is sent to a counterparty to authenticate the user (to make
unnecessary  their typing a password) it has the same protective power
as a plaintext password.   if you have the hash, you can pretend to be
the user in any situation which accepts the hash as an authenticator.

the only value of such a hash is to obscure the password and to make less
likely that someone with the hash can take advantage of the user using the
same plaintext password in other circumstances.

this is the main reason why static authenticators such as passwords
should generally not be reused, or, for that matter, used at all for
high value asset protection.