Quantum Cryptography

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Tue Jun 26 17:03:29 EDT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Nicolas Williams wrote:

> This too is a *fundamental* difference between QKD and classical
> cryptography.

What does this "classical" word mean? Is it the Quantum way to say
"real"? I know we're in violent agreement, but why are we letting
them play language games?

> IMO, QKD's ability to discover passive eavesdroppers is not even
> interesting (except from an intellectual p.o.v.) given: its
> inability to
> detect MITMs, its inability to operate end-to-end across across middle
> boxes, while classical crypto provides protection against
> eavesdroppers
> *and* MITMs both *and* supports end-to-end operation across middle
> boxes.

Moreover, the quantum way of discovering passive eavesdroppers is
really just a really delicious sugar coating on the classical term
"denial of service." I'm not being DoSed, I'm detecting a passive
eavesdropper!

	Jon