Susan Landau Op Ed on new NSA powers

David G. Koontz david_koontz at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 14 21:37:23 EDT 2007

Alex Alten wrote:
> It seems that a large chunk (and probably relative soon nearly all)
> voice is now via VoIP. And to date, Skype not withstanding, this has
> all been cleartext traffic.  Using router netflow records, etc., one
> can now pinpoint any phone conversation and then do a pcap dump. Many
> Tier 1 through Tier 3 internet carriers are now deploying this type of
> L7 deep packet inspection directed analysis.  Currently they are limited
> to about 10 Gbps (L4 DPI), but soon 40 Gbps will be available.

Endace in New Zealand has a product for OC-768 concatenated.
http://endace.co.nz/what-we-do/ninja-appliances/ninjaprobe-40g1
It feeds four of their 10G boxes, with a software layer running the whole
thing as a virtual system.  Management can be over authenticated and secure
links.

The ability for a hacker or organization to exploit vulnerabilities would
come from loss of control of the monitoring capability, and diverting the
results.

Corporate uses for commercial purposes or regulatory compliance imply a
level of vulnerability and a duty of care that might require regulatory
mandate from some number of agencies.  Some regulated uses have no teeth for
failure of duty of care.  Taking advantage of corporate DPI could be viewed
as hit or miss although the use is growing to the point it could be
seriously exploited.

Law enforcement intercept monitoring is a bit more worrisome.  Who controls
the equipment?  What regulatory oversight is mandated?  We've seen that the
FBI and DOJ aren't trustworthy or competent, what happens when you throw
state and local law enforcement in the mix?  It's been demonstrated that
without a controlling infrastructure that law enforcement intercept
capability can be suborned as in the case of the Greek wiretapping.  The
attraction for mis use by foreign intelligence concerns or criminal elements
is that the law enforcement intercept infrastructure will become ubiquitous.
There isn't currently a defined control infrastructure, and the agency
responsible for driving development of intercept capability isn't competent
to direct development of a control infrastructure.

National security monitoring is made safer by equipment partitioning such as
found in the description of the separate rooms in the AT&T case.  All the
pipes go through a controlled facility containing monitoring equipment. They
don't want anyone to know what they are monitoring so they don't want to
share infrastructure.  The monitoring output links from these rooms go to
Ft. Huacua, San Antonio or wherever and would be encrypted.  The equipment
is under control of the TLA directly, There's around $300K-500K worth of
equipment installed in one of these major switching centers to monitor the
Internet.  The threat is more TLA misuse than exploitation  by foreign or
criminal concerns. The TLA won't merge capability with law enforcement
intercept capability because law enforcement capability doesn't have a
controlling infrastructure the TLA can dominate, nor do costs dictate the
capabilities be merged.

The Landau Op-Ed could be viewed as railing against infrastructure already
in place for national security purposes now being 'legitimized' and
confusing the distinction between law enforcement access and national
security monitoring.  I don't subscribe to the notion that classified
information is inherently accessible by Internet penetration, certainly not
communications intelligence.  I'd have serious doubts that a penetration at
Ft. Huachuca could gain someone control of the monitoring equipment in AT&Ts
San Francisco office for purposes of targeting national security monitoring
capability.

The long and the short of it is, the NSA can already monitor everything at
least connected internationally, and it's legality fluctuates.  Foreign and
criminal interests probably can't exploit that capability.

Law enforcement intercept and corporate Deep Packet Inspection capabilities
are probably vulnerable to foreign or criminal exploitation.  The scope of
the individual vulnerabilities tends to be a bit more localized.

And I don't really want the NSA to get into the business of domestic
monitoring for law enforcement purposes as a partial solution, it has impact
on net neutrality above and beyond legal issues.