NSA knows who you've called.

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Thu May 18 20:22:02 EDT 2006

At 08:05 AM 5/11/2006, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Let me again remind people that if you do not inform your elected
>representatives of your displeasure with this sort of thing,
>eventually you will not be in a position to inform them of your
>displeasure with this sort of thing.

I think begging elected representatives to acknowledge your rights is
generally a waste of time, especially when there is powerful or ingrained
opposition.  The Civil Rights movement got nowhere until there was massive
civil disobedience.  Widespread deployment of generic and otherwise
acceptable technologies that can be re-targeted for end-user controlled
privacy (not what governments would like to see, which is privacy mediated
by corporations, licensed professionals or other regulated entities they
can easily pressure) and/or insistence of powerful and wealthy individuals
that they have the privacy they deserve and get it in such a way as its
easily unavailable to the average citizen.

Steve