"boarding passes", identity, and security

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon May 8 20:53:08 EDT 2006

> nothing in it that seemed in any way related to security.  Every one of
> those database entries could have been there -- and probably were there --
> for the convenience of airline passengers.  In particular, I'm referring
> to the ability to check in online and print your own boarding pass.  For
> business travelers who use only carry-on baggage, it's a *major*
> timesaver.  I've been on flights where I had to wait 45-60 minutes (or
> more) just to get my boarding pass, independent of any security screening.

But what does this have to do with anything?  It doesn't take a
database to "print your own boarding pass".  On the vast majority of
ticketed services, your printed ticket IS your boarding pass.  Like
trains, theatres, concerts, ferries, buses...

So, Steve, what you're saying is that the airlines threw an extra
hurdle in their customers' way for some years, then decided to take it
away for certain customers.  Well, not really take it away -- just let
some of you use a computer with a printer to kludge around it.  And
you mistook that for progress?  They could have just printed the
seat numbers on the ticket, and actually honored the seat numbers on
the ticket; that would be REAL progress.

The best plane service in the nation was the old Eastern shuttle that
ran between DC and NYC and Boston.  You showed up -- no tickets -- and
walked on board.  It left once an hour, all day, like a train.  The
fare was collected on board, the same way the stewards go down the
aisle and serve drinks.  It cost everybody the same price.
None of today's endless crap.

	John