encrypted file system issues

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon May 1 21:36:59 EDT 2006

"Travis H." <solinym at gmail.com> writes:
> On 5/1/06, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
>> Not if you design it correctly. Disk encryption systems like CGD work
>> on the block level, and do not propagate CBC operations across blocks,
>
> So is it vulnerable to any of the attacks here?
> http://clemens.endorphin.org/LinuxHDEncSettings

Yes, but they are all uninteresting. For example, yes, it is trivially
true that if two 128 bit ciphertext blocks are identical that you can
extract some information about those two blocks, but that only reveals
information about two blocks and the odds of this happening are
microscopic.

> I used to run NetBSD 1.6 IIRC, and for some reason cgd was in previous
> and later releases but not that one.  I found that puzzling.

So do I, since it isn't true.

Perry