Interesting bit of a quote

Adam Fields cryptography23094893 at aquick.org
Tue Jul 11 14:05:11 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 01:02:27PM -0400, Leichter, Jerry wrote:
[...]
> Business ultimately depends on trust.  There's some study out there -
> I don't recall a reference - that basically finds that the level of
> trust is directly related to the level of economic success of an
> economy.  There are costs associated with verification, some of them
> easily quantifiable, some of them much harder to pin down.  The
> difficulty is in making the tradeoffs.  We're now pushing way over
> on the verification side, in a natural reaction to a series of major
> frauds and scandals.

Trust is not quite the opposite of security (in the sense of an
action, not as a state of being), but certainly they're mutually
exclusive. If you have trust, you have no need for security.

Personally, given the choice, I'd rather have trust. I think that this
is a distinction that could be made more often when deciding on how to
implement a security system.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience