OpenSSL BIGNUM vs. GMP

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue Jan 3 14:10:40 EST 2006

Some relevant and recent data: in some tests I ran this weekend (GMP 4.1.2,
OpenSSL 0.9.8a, Athlon/gcc/Linux) RSA operations using GMP were somewhat faster
than ones using OpenSSL even when blinding was used with both (typical
performance boost was 15-20%).

I'm assume "both of which are needed" should have been "at least one of which
is needed"? AFAIK blinding alone can protect against all (publicly known)
timing attacks; am I wrong about this?

-Jack