VoIP and phishing

mis at seiden.com mis at seiden.com
Thu Apr 27 16:12:43 EDT 2006

the other point that should be made about voip is that
callerid is trivial to spoof.

so if you are counting on the calling party being who they say the are,
or even within your company, based on callerid, don't.

i predict a round of targeted attacks on help desks and customer
service, as well as more general scams with callerid set to (say)
"Visa  Security".

does anyone know if time ANI from toll free services is still unspoofable?

some of my clients have been receiving targeted phishes recently that correctly name
their bank and property address and claim to be about their mortgage.
this is information obtainable from public records.