how email encryption should work (and how to get it used...)

Amir Herzberg herzbea at macs.biu.ac.il
Wed May 25 03:25:24 EDT 2005

James A. Donald responded to me:

>>A missing element is motivation for getting something
>>like this deployed... I think spam could offer such
>>motivation; and, I strongly believe that a
>>cryptographic protocol to penalize spammers could be
>>one of the most important tools against spam.
>
> The cure for spam is not a provable link to a true name,
> but a provable link to a domain name.
I disagree. I believe that _accountability_ is a key element in stopping
spam, and that cryptographic protocols (such as SICS) offer the best
mechanisms to ensure accountability of spam. A `provable link to domain
name`, imho, is merely a specific method of accountability (in the
domain level), which is useful, but not necessarily optimal, esp.
considering the need to support mobile users and many domains, not all
fully trustworthy.

> The problem with adoption is that this is only
> beneficial against spam if widely used.  We face the
> usual critical mass problem.
Agreed here and indeed a focal point in this effort should definitely be
providing value to early adopters. I  believe we can provide such early
advantages better via spam-fighting mechanisms, such as secure protocol
between multiple spam-aware mail agents (MTA-MTA, MTA-MUA)); so that's
what we are developing in SICS. I believe these efforts are
complementary to providing encryption services.

Best, Amir Herzberg