de-identification

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Mon Jun 13 15:21:55 EDT 2005

Florian Weimer wrote:
> We call it pseudonymization ("Pseudonymisierung").  It's a commonly
> used technique in Germany to detaint personally identifiable
> information, so you can share it freely for statistics purposes.  The
> methods used in the field are rather crude (time-seeded LCGs are very
> common, unfortunately).

from privacy glossary and taxonomy
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/privacy.htm

that i put together when working on x9.99 PIA standard for financial
industry ... from HIPAA

anonymized
    Previously identifiable data that have been deidentified and for
which a code or other link no longer exists. An investigator would not
be able to link anonymized information back to a specific individual.
[HIPAA] (see also anonymous, coded, directly identifiable, indirectly
identifiable)