encrypted tapes (was Re: Papers about "Algorithm hiding" ?)

astiglic at okiok.com astiglic at okiok.com
Wed Jun 8 17:20:56 EDT 2005

> | Oracle, for example, provides encryption functions, but the real problem
> | is the key handling (how to make sure the DBA can't get the key, cannot
> | call functions that decrypt the data, key not copied with the backup,
> | etc.).
> | There are several solutions for the key management, but the vendors
> should
> | start offering them.
>
> I would argue that the real problem is that encryption slows large
> searches (is percieved to slow large searches, anyway.)
>
> Adam

Yes, encrypting indexed columns for example is a problem.  But if you
limit yourself to encrypting sensitive information (I'm talking about
stuff like SIN, bank account numbers, data that serves as an index to
external databases and are sensitive with respect to identity theft),
these sensitive information should not be the bases of searches.
If they are not he basis of searches, there will be no performance
problems related to encrypting them.
So my answer to people that have the perception you mentioned is that if
you want to encrypt sensitive information and that would cause performance
problems, then there are problems with your data architecture privacy wise
(you should re-structure your data, use it differently, etc.).

--Anton