Bluetooth cracked further

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jun 3 12:44:50 EDT 2005

Cracking the Bluetooth PIN

http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~yash/shaked-wool-mobisys05/index.html

Abstract:
  This paper describes the implementation of an attack on the Bluetooth
  security mechanism. Specifically, we describe a passive attack, in
  which an attacker can find the PIN used during the pairing process. We
  then describe the cracking speed we can achieve through three
  optimizations methods. Our fastest optimization employs an algebraic
  representation of a central cryptographic primitive (SAFER+) used in
  Bluetooth. Our results show that a 4-digit PIN can be cracked in less
  than 0.3 sec on an old Pentium III 450MHz computer, and in 0.06 sec on
  a Pentium IV 3Ghz HT computer.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com