link-layer encryptors for Ethernet?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Wed Feb 9 12:26:57 EST 2005

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Yup.  Often, large corporations had policies requiring them, because of
> how frequently a transoceanic fiber would be cut and the circuits
> rerouted to satellite.

how 'bout microwave terrestrial ... remember all the press about the
consulate in san fran that supposedly had clear shot at the mci
microwave antenna complex?

san jose south valley complex had T3 collins digital radio between the
main plant site (roof of bldg. 12) and stl/bldg.90. i've heard comments
from people driving the stretch of 87 having their radar detectors go
off when they are in the straight line between bldg. 12 and the
repeating tower on top of the hill going to bldg.90.

a similar setup went to the lsg/bldg.29 (los gatos lab) ... with a
repeating tower on the hill above san jose dump.

my hsdt project had some of the circuits
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

and also put in a tdma system that ran off a transponder on sbs4. had
4.5meter dish in the back parking lot of bldg.29 with tail circuits to
the main plant site, a 4.5meter dish out behind yorktown research, and a
7meter dish on the austin plant site.

i got tired of paying all the money for the link encrypters ... and got
involved in designing a board that was a lot more powerful and orders of
magnitude cheaper ... which caused some churn.