X.509 / PKI, PGP, and IBE Secure Email Technologies

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 11 12:49:05 EST 2005

    --
From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart at pobox.com>
> The real security issue for your mother is [...] her
> bank and eBay don't cryptographically sign their mail.

And, since her bank and ebay are under massive attack
from phishers, and your mother, if she is using any of
the common email clients is using a cryptographically
enabled mail agent, why don't they sign their email?
This is exactly the attack that PKI was designed to
address.

My possibly biased answer to this question, based on my
past job as key keeper for two companies, would be that
not only can your mother not sign her stuff with PKI,
but the chairman of the board finds it even harder.

Does anyone else have war stories on this issue?

Just as big companies find it hard to write software
that does not open their servers to a cross scripting
attack, and hard to interact with their users in ways
that do not train their users to respond to phishing
attacks, and hard to write server side software that
does not rely on the behavior of client side forms, they
also find it hard to sign their email.

In the unlikely event that my mother is threatened by
man in the middle attacks, she will allow me to set up
secret key on her computer, and will follow my
instructions on how to use it, but the chairman of the
board will not, nor will the marketing department.

That is my experience - does anyone else have any
experience that differs from this, or confirms this?

And before we sneer at the chairman of the board - hands
up all programmers who failed to client and server side
disable all past cookies and issue new https and http
cookies on receiving a valid login, and all programmers
who failed to enumerate and sterilize all fields
appearing in any response.

It is not my position that inability to sign means that
the chairman of the board is stupid.  It is that
cryptographic signatures are too @#$%^&* hard and need
to be made user friendly.

First write software that is easy enough for your
mother.  Then we can work on making it easy enough for
the marketing department.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     gvDLBPaNQFZ3Y0yhzmO2KnYEKGolt9E+eey2rPxE
     4bGpW6AUGiMGbJFzaXJ8QcBY0HMhbypcque+5LrMd