online MD5 crack database

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Mon Aug 22 10:48:52 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 10:08:29AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> >In 1985 I was told by an MIT professor with DoD
> >connections and a clearance that certainly no
> >later than 1979 the folks at Fort Meade had every
> >possible BSD password indexed by its /etc/passwd
> >representation.  Reversing a password meant to
> >simply look up the /etc/password text on-disk to
> >see what tape it was on and to then read that
> >tape.
> >

> I'm sorry, I flat-out don't believe that.  For one thing, why would
> that have been necessary in 1979?  Unix just wasn't that important.
> For another, let's do some arithmetic.

More plausible perhaps if they had used a space/time tradeoff, to make
the space manageable, then the question is whether CPUs were fast enough
or character set sufficiently restricted to make the pre-computation
feasible.

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify