AES Modes

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 12 09:57:15 EDT 2004

I think CCM is just about perfect for this goal.  The MAC isn't free, but it's integrated into the chaining mode.  There are also some patented modes that provide a MAC for almost no extra computation(OCB, IACBC), and some proposed modes that combine an efficient, parallelizeable MAC with encryption in a secure way (CWC,GCM), though none of these are standards yet.

>iang

--John