recommendations/evaluations of free / low-cost crypto libraries

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Fri Jun 18 16:58:23 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amir Herzberg" <amir at herzberg.name>
Subject: recommendations/evaluations of free / low-cost crypto libraries

> I will appreciate experience-reports/evaluations/comparisons with free
> or low cost (and in particular  zero `per seat` cost) crypto libraries,
> especially in C / C++ (or links to web-sites containing them).

Generally the two most suggested free products are Crypto++
(http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/cryptlib.html) and OpenSSL
(http://www.openssl.org/). I have used both and both are very good toolsets,
each has small advantages, but mostly it's just a programming style
preference.

As a personal preference, I generally preper OpenSSL for most purposes,
because the interface feels better to me, but lately I've been using
Crypto++ more because it supports a wider selection of algorithms (including
the very important for me ECC variants) which is recently of extreme value
to me.

I will say that if either of these was pay-ware, I would gladly pay for it.
                Joe