terminology trivia

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Tue Aug 24 20:00:40 EDT 2004

> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
> From: hal at finney.org ("Hal Finney")
>
> A minor terminology correction: the hash is RIPEMD, the more recent (and
> still unbroken) version being RIPEMD-160.  RIPEMD is the RIPE Message
> Digest, where RIPE is the EU's RACE Integrity Primitives Evaluation
> project, and I haven't been able to find out what RACE stands for.

If you care:

RACE stands for Research and development in Advanced Communications
technologies in Europe.  It was a European RTD programme, like ESPRIT
(European Strategic Programme for Research and development in
Information Technology), within a funding framework.  RIPE was one of
the projects funded by the RACE programme.

Ray