Firm invites experts to punch holes in ballot software

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Wed Apr 7 16:40:29 EDT 2004

The principle here is that no one should be able to prove how
the voter voted, not even the voter.

Yes, votes need to be verified and voters are certainly one party
that can do it. However, you never want to allow the voter to
take any kind of "receipt" out of the voting station if that
receipt can be used to determine how the voter voted, e.g. by
matching a number or pattern on the ballot, even if to the voter.
Otherwise, vote selling and coercion cannot be prevented.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck