SSL, client certs, and MITM (was WYTM?)

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Wed Oct 22 17:58:33 EDT 2003

At 05:08 PM 10/22/2003 -0400, Tom Otvos wrote:

>The CC number is clearly not hidden if there is a MITM.  I think the "I
>got my money so who cares
>where it came from" argument is not entirely a fair
>representation.  Someone ends up paying for
>abuses, even if it is us in CC fees, otherwise why bother encrypting at
>all?  But that is besides
>the point.

the statement was SSL domain name certificate is

1) am i really talking to who I think I'm talking to
2) encrypted channel

obviously #1 addresses MITM (am i really talking to who I think I'm talking
to).

The issue for CC is that it really is a "shjared secret" and is extremely
vulnerable ... as I've commented before

1) CC needs to be in the clear in a dozen or so business processes
2) much simpler to harvest a whole merchant file with possibly millions of
CC numbers in about the same effort to evesdrop one off the net (even if
there was no SSL) return on investment .... for approx. same amount of
effort get one CC number or get millions
3) all the instances in the press are in fact involved with harvesting
large files of numbers ... not one or two at a time off the wire
4) burying the earth in miles of crypto still wouldn't eliminate the
current shared-secret CC problem

slightly related .... security proportional to risk:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#61

so the requirement given the X9 financial standards working group X9A10
http://www.x9.org/

was to preserve the integrity of the financial infrastructure for all
electronic retail payment (regardless of kind, origin, method, etc). The
result was X9.59 standard
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#x959

which effectively defines a digitally signed, authenticated transaction
.... no certificate required ... and the CC number used in X9.59
authenticated transactions shouldn't be used in non-authenticated
transactions. Since the transaction is now digitally signed transactions
and the CC# can't be used in non-authenticated transactions .... you can
listen in on X9.59 transactions and harvest all the CC# that you want to
and it doesn't help with doing fraudulent transactions. In effect, X9.59
changes the business rules so that CC# no longer need to be treated as
shared secrets.

misc. past stuff about ssl domain name certificates
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#sslcert

misc. past stuff about relying-party-only certificates
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#rpo

misc. past stuff about using certificateless digital signatures in radius
authentication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#radius

misc. past stuff about using certificateless digital signatures in kerberos
authentication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#kerberos

misc. fraud & exploits (including some number of cc related press
announcements)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fraud

some discussion of early SSL deployment for what is now referred to as
electronic commerce
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3

--