Tools for anonymous blogging

Steve Schear schear at attbi.com
Wed Mar 12 11:42:45 EST 2003

At 02:14 AM 3/12/2003 +0000, Dylan Knobold wrote:
>Greetings cryptographers,
>
>    I would like to ask your assistance in setting up a weblog that
>cannot easily be traced to my real identity. I have surveyed the
>existing tools and do not find one that fits my needs well. For my
>proposed blog, I would graciously accept volunteer hosting, but I
>think it's also worth thinking improving tools so anonymous blogging
>can be accessible to many.
>
>    Finally, while remailers contend against the deeply entrenched
>email infrastructure, blog publishing tools are still in their
>infancy, and most people do not find it particularly convenient to
>publish a blog. In addition, good hosting costs money; the free
>hosting services are ad-ridden, in many cases badly.

Retain the services of virtual hosting firm which accepts e-gold for
payment.  Prevailing costs about US$10.00/month.

E-gold accounts can be opened without providing accurate meatspace identity
info.  If you create the account using a viable web proxy then no trail
back to your originating IP should be generated.  If you are especially
paranoid, you can fund one e-gold account (at http://www.e-gold.com) using
a relatively anonymous payment method (e.g., a money order), open an
anonymous ALTA/DMT account (also using a web proxy) at
http://dmt.orlingrabbe.com, transfer e-gold funds into the ALTA/DMT account
and then back out to another e-gold account (also opened via a web proxy)
which you use to open and pay for the virtual hosting account. Sort of
Chaumian money mix. :)

>    Given these goals, what tools are available today? The most obvious
>is to use an anonymizing Web proxy such as anonymizer.com in
>conjunction with a public blog hosting service such as LiveJournal.
>However, this approach doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.  In
>particular, anonymizer.com is a single point of vulnerability, a
>one-stop shop if you will for spy agencies, conveniently pre-filtered
>to include only those who feel that leaking identity information is
>worth thirty bucks a year to protect (the free version is little more
>than a teaser for the pay service).

I suggest using JAP (Java Anonymizing Proxy), a open source P2P proxy
cloud, operated out of the University of Technology Dresden
http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html  Its free, relatively reliable
and moderately good performance (I routinely get >6KB/sec bandwidth).

For relatively secure IRC communication I suggest you check out IIP, the
Invisible Internet Proxy. Its easy to use with most IRC clients.  See my
separate posting to the list announcing the availability of IIP 1.1.0.

steve

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general
knowledge among the people... Be not intimidated,
therefore, by any terrors, from publishing with the
utmost freedom...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled
out of your liberty by any pretenses of politeness,
delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used,
are but three different names for hypocrisy,
chicanery, and cowardice." -- John Adams