DeCSS, crypto, (regions removed??!)

Gilles Gravier Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com
Fri Jan 10 03:27:16 EST 2003

In any case, some countries in Europe (this is the case for France and
Switzerland, for example) are starting to make it illegal to sell disks
that are not REGION-2 in the stores... so in effect, you can buy all the
region free players in the world, if you have no access to the internet
to buy your DVDs, you can't buy or rent REGION-1 DVDs anymore.

In effect, this is limiting access to local culture to only people who
have internet or travel to the USA. For example, take the movie "36
Fillette"... a French movie (French version of Lolita, of sorts)...
well, this French movie exists only on a REGION-1 DVD. Unless you can
access the internet to order it, it is not possible to view it in France
or Switzerland.

Gilles.

--
Gilles Gravier  -  Platform Infrastructure - MDO  -  EMEA
Email: Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com            Sun Microsystems