DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 05:13:20 EST 2003

Matt Blaze wrote:

> Huh?  DVD region coding doesn't prevent this at all; ripped decrypted
> DVD mpeg files could be played anywhere.

I think that DRM mechanisms may increase piracy.  A few years ago you
could buy a CD, knowing that it was a standard product which you could
use in certain ways.  Now, you might get it home and find that you can
play it in your hi-fi, but not in your car.  Next time, you're not going
to make that mistake, you'll just log on to Kazaa and download an MP3.

--
Pete