Ousourced Trust (was Re: Difference between TCPA-Hardware and a smart card and something else before

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Mon Dec 29 14:40:28 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 10:16, Rich Salz wrote:
> Not sure what the guy meant by that.  But yes, SAML flows are "just
> like" Kerberos flows.  And Liberty and WS-Federation look a lot like DCE
> cross-cell (er, Kerberos inter-realm) flows. After all, there's only not
> many ways to do secure online trusted third-party authentication.
> 	/r$

talking to the guy after the presentation, i got the impression that
they probably exactly copied the kerberos flows ... didn't even try to
come up with something that turned out to be similar.

there were 30-40 people in the audience and I expected more people in
the audience to have participated in discussion about kerberos vis-a-vis
saml.

kerberos had come out of project athena that had been substantially
jointly funded by two corporations ... project athena had a director
from mit and two assistant directors, one from each of the funding
corporations. one of them i had worked with for a long time when at
science center at 545 tech sq. (random refs):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

during the period we were doing hsdt & ha/cmp ... my wife and I also got
to go by and do audits of progress of various project athena activities
(including kerberos).
One visit we had a lengthy overview and discussion of the recently
(then) developed cross-domain protocol.

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler -  http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/