I don't know PAIN...

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 11:01:35 EST 2003

Raymond Lillard wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> Ian Grigg wrote:
>>
>>> What is the source of the acronym PAIN?

>>> I.e., its provenance?
>>>
>>> Google shows only a few hits, indicating
>>> it is not widespread.
>>

>> Probably because non-repudiation is a stupid idea:
>> http://www.apache-ssl.org/tech-legal.pdf.
>

> OK, I'm a mere country mouse when it comes to cryptography,
> so be kind.

:-)

> I have read most of the above paper on non-repudiation and
> noticed on p3 the following footnote:
>
> "Note that there is no theoretical reason that it should be
> possible to figure out the public key given the private key,
> either, but it so happens that it is generally possible to
> do so"
>
> So what's this "generally possible" business about?

Well, AFAIK its always possible, but I was hedging my bets :-) I can
imagine a system where both public and private keys are generated from
some other stuff which is then discarded.

> A few references will do.

If you want the gory details, I recommend the Handbook of Applied
Cryptography by Menezes et al., _not_ the Schneier brick. Warning:
pretty technical.

Cheers,

Ben.