DRM technology and policy

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Sat Apr 26 17:34:35 EDT 2003

> Would the LOTR trilogy be filmed without hope of ROI? Would
> we be awaiting 'The Matrix Reloaded'? I don't think so.

If you had a choice between buying a DVD of The Matrix Reloaded for a
buck and watching it in the big screen for $10, the day of the release,
which would you choose?   Do you think that copyright enforcement
against movie theaters is an intractable problem?

 From what I've heard, bands make most of their money on touring,
assuming that the promoters don't manage to get all the proceeds.   So
from the perspective of the copyright holder (the artist, hopefully),
as long as, as Ben suggests, the copying is not done for profit, how is
it a problem for the band that the copying gets done?   More copying
means more fans, means more gigs and more money per gig.   It seems
like unless the copying is done by a corporation, against which a
lawsuit can be brought, it's more of a benefit than a cost.   So in the
case where you'd want to bring suit, copyright still helps you.