TPM coming to Canada

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Wed Apr 2 10:24:09 EST 2003

It appears that TPM is being seriously considered by Copyright Policy Branch
of Canadian Heritage, and has announced a paper by  Dr. Ian Kerr and others.
<http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/ac-ca/progs/pda-cpb/pubs/protection/index_e.cfm>

It mentions a nice top heavy certificate rich method or a DMCA like law
as two TPMs that might work in their opinion.

The legal aspects are to be dealt with in a later part of the study,
the tone is fairly optimistic that TPM can work well enough to
preserve revenue to copyright controlers.

I'm afraid I'll have to start writing letters to government and non-government
groups to inform them of issues beyond revenue control issues (like creator's
rights and consumer protection).

-M Taylor