Quantum crypto broken?

John Lowry jlowry at bbn.com
Mon May 13 15:02:51 EDT 2002

(Greg and I work on the same project ...)
The Oxford announcement doesn't present quite
the risk implied.  Cloning in their case results
in an energy loss of 1/2 which is easily detected
through various means including error rate.
You have to conserve of energy ...

For a quick discussion on the no-cloning theory
see http://physics.about.com/library/weekly/aa070101a.htm

A notional QKD system can tolerate about a 15% error rate (14.86%
to be exact) before mutual information becomes an issue.
(For transmissions of >100 qbits)

5/6ths represents an error rate of 16% above that of the
baselined quantum system even if energy weren't conserved.
(Back of the envelope ...) For the system we're building,
cutting power in half, greater probability of absorbtion, etc.,
yields another 20% error making _at least_ 36% error on
top of the baselined system.

There is a lot of math and implementation detail which
I won't go into but the physical and mathematical proofs
indicate that this is not a threat.  If perfect cloning were
possible this would be a _very_ different universe.

John