Secure peripheral cards

Roop Mukherjee bmukherj at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 22 09:45:04 EST 2002

I was posing this question with some client based transaction system in
mind such as the proposed digital rights management (DRM) system, as
opposed to secure access to servers.

There are several companies that are touting that they have solutions for
DRM. Microsoft's story is that they have a secure kernel that will only
load secure drivers and their secure DRM app can playback stuff without
the user copying the pain-text data. It is probably plain to see why the
kernel, the driver or the application  that the user can insert and delete
instructions from should not be considered secure.

Wave.com touts this security system called Embassy. It is supposed to be
made up of everything from a secure chip, secure applets running on them,
secure OS secure trust network of such deives etc. They talk of deploying
this in everything from a keyboard to speakers. Even after looking for
weeks I only have a sketchy view of the working of the suystem. If someone
here knows more about it please let me know.

What I was seeking waas some concrete examples of the use and/or
deployment of the secure chips, applets etc. to create DRM or secure
client systems, as opposed to servers that can process loads of secure
transactions.

Cheers,
-- Roop