Optical Time-Domain Eavesdropping Risks of CRT Displays

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Wed Mar 13 01:06:21 EST 2002

An historical note: In the early 1970's I did some contract
programming work at the Air Force Cambridge Research Lab at Hanscom
Field in Bedford, Mass.  Their main computer was a CDC 6600, a super
computer in its day (60-bit words, 10 MHz clock).
http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/cdc6600.html

The wall separating the computer room from the hallway had a large
picture window facing the console, with its two (vector-scanned)
CRTs.
http://www.research.microsoft.com/users/gbell/craytalk/sld031.htm.
There were curtains on the window that were to be  drawn whenever
classified programs were run. In addition, I was told, there was a
large board that the operators were supposed to place over the
console.  I don't know if these precautions were based on analyses
similar to Kuhn's excellent paper or general paranoia, but there is a
lot to be said for the later.

Arnold Reinhold