crypto/web impementation tradeoffs

Mike Brodhead mkb at black-ice.org
Thu Jul 4 12:35:09 EDT 2002

> I'm passing some data through a web client [applet-like] and am planning
> on using some crypto to help ensure the data's integrity when the applet
> sends it back to me after it has been processed.

Help us to understand your threat model.  Do you trust the user and
his/her machine, but are worried about Mallory altering the
communications between client and server?  Do you need confidentiality
too, or just integrity?  How serious an attacter are you concerned
with?  Curious and semi-technical?  Determined hacker?  NSA?

> Is it better to have the key encoded in the binary, or to pass it a
> plain text key as one of the parameters to the applet?

Both strategies seem like doom to me.  Either way, the key is in a
form which allows Eve or Mallory to learn it.  You need to find a way
to keep from sending the key in the clear.

What about using Diffie-Hellman key exchange?  What about SSL?
Depending on your needs, SSL might be overkill, but it has the
advantage of having been prodded quite a bit at the protocol and
(often) implementation level.  SSH may be an option too.

Is the web client sent to the user over HTTP?  Can you ensure that the
connection uses SSL?  If so, the key does not have to travel in
plaintext form.  There is still the issue of key re-use.  How much
control do you have over the server from which the java client is
sent?  You could send a different symmetric key with each client,
though that is a little strange.  A better strategy might be to send a
private key with the client which it can then use to negotiate session
keys with the server.

Having said all that, I still lean towards using a library with an
existing protocol like SSL or SSH.  Whether either of those is
applicable really depends on the specifics of your app, to whom it is
distributed, etc.

--mkb