PGP & GPG compatibility

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 20 21:46:35 EST 2002

Actually, I've found it isn't quite that bad.  Yes, there are some
problems with some of the odd-man-out features.  And yes, there are
certainly problems that only get solved if users upgrade to PGP 6.5.8
or more recent versions of GPG.

I will agree with your assessment of the origin of the problem.
However I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be --
I've been using PGP 6.5.8 successfully to talk to a few people.  My
biggest problem is that very few people actually use PGP.

Question: How many users of PGP 2.x are still out there?  If people
have upgraded to more recent versions, then it's not quite as bad.
OTOH, I have successfully interoperated with PGP 2.6 fairly recently.
Then again, I still use my 1992-era RSA key (I should probably upgrade
sometime soon).

If all else fails, there is always S/MIME ;)

-derek