Welome to the Internet, here's your private key

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 6 11:15:18 EST 2002

Greg Rose <ggr at qualcomm.com> writes:

>The scariest thing, though... at first I put in an unkeyed RC4 generator for
>the self-test data, but accidentally ran the FIPS test on a straight counter
>output... and it passed (even version 1)! I'd always assumed that something in
>the regularity of a counter would trigger it. Running through the buffer,
>XORing consecutive bytes, makes it fail quite handily, but might also have the
>undesirable effect of hiding a bias in the data, if there was one. I'm thinking
>of suggesting to NIST that a stronger test would be to run the test on the raw
>data, and then on the data after XORing consecutive bytes... if it's really
>random stuff it should pass both, and in the meantime this would catch all
>sorts of failures. Any comments?

General-purpose data compressors (which make rather nice entropy estimators)
also have problems with counting events.  The Calgary compression corpus (the
Dhrystone of the compression world) includes a file geo in which every fourth
byte is a zero.  No standard compressor will pick this up, so that while they
all realise that zeroes occur with ~25% probability, they don't realise that
they always occur at every fourth byte (alongside a few others in between).
There will always be data patterns which appear obvious to a human but aren't
easily picked up by automated tests, so I don't know how far it's worth chasing
this thing.

Peter.