DOS attack on WPA 802.11?

William Arbaugh waa at cs.umd.edu
Sun Dec 8 16:30:20 EST 2002

There is another reason why it won't change. The majority of the IEEE
are not interested in denial of service attacks. This issue has been
brought up several times at TGi and other meetings by myself, Bernard
Aboba and a few others. The standard response is that this is RF and
you can always do a DoS.  But, they're missing the point of the cost of
the attacker to run the attack.

Unfortunately right now, anyone with a NIC card and laptop can deny
service to multiple AP's on a WLAN using tools available on the
Internet. This is true for the current and ALL future standards, and
each case they don't have to resort to sending malformed frames to
TKIP. It is just a simple, unprotected by a MIC/MAC, disassociate
message.